Monday, June 4, 2007

Nice and Steady, Too Busy, or Not Busy Enough

Like many librarians (I think), I prefer a nice, steady pace at the Reference Desk. This way I feel needed, am comfortable working for a time to ensure that every patron receives the information that he needs, and am not pressured to move on to the next person. A "nice, steady pace" gives me a chance to breathe between customers without the long stretches that pass patron-less, in which case I look up from my work and wonder why people are not at the library (and hence, wonder what we staff members are doing wrong).

I have to admit that, although I love being at the Desk and believe that I have strong customer service skills, there are times when I'm just as glad when my shift ends and I can do some work "behind the scenes." And these moments of relief occur when it is either "too busy" at the Desk (the line of impatient people who shift their books from one arm to the other, stamp their feet, frown, glance at their watches, and complain to the person behind them) or when it's not busy enough (I need to escape so that I can feel useful again).

Fortunately, most of my shifts are "nice and steady!"

No comments: