Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Challenges

As a librarian, I love the idea of lifelong learning (doing it myself and encouraging it in others). Unfortunately, I do fall prey to excuses to avoid trying new things (too tired, too many routine tasks that have to be accomplished at work, too busy caring for a three-year-old when I'm not at work, etc.).

That's why I'm glad that my library system is encouraging its staff members to participate in the Web 2.0 Challenge! Learning the tools of Web 2.0 is so important for librarians because we need to be able to communicate with our patrons. It appears so unprofessional when we merely give our young students a blank look if they make a reference to a technological device that we have no experience with or use a term that we haven't heard before (i.e. - an MP3 player, a Facebook account, downloading music to an MP3 player, etc). It's also downright embarrassing.

So I'm going to throw myself into the Web 2.0 Challenge. The real challenge, for me, will be finding the time to complete each task. But I am motivated, and if I can maintain this level of motivation, then that will help me make the time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is incredible, professional to the point and voicing you opinion. It's you and keep up the great work.