Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Collections

For the past two years, I've worked in a twenty-one branch library system. I had taken a step down from my previous position as Head of Reference in a municipal library in order to concentrate on nonsupervisory tasks - reference, programming, and teaching computer classes. I quickly discovered that the bureaucracy in a county-wide system is vastly different from that of a one-building facility (how could it not be?), but I adjusted to my new environment and learned the system's policies and procedures.

I have no regrets about the career change that I made; in fact, I'm still awed by the number of departments (and hence, the vast array of opportunities) that the system offers. Nevertheless, this morning I found myself musing with a colleague about one vital aspect of librarianship that I miss performing - collection development.

For the sake of efficiency, the ordering and processing of materials for the entire system is conducted by staff members whose offices are housed in our main library. Because it's important to maintain consistency, particularly in such a large organization, this procedure is understandable. And yet, there is something missing. Something missing from the inability of the staff at each branch (who know their users' needs much better than a central committee every could) to decide for themselves what should and should not be purchased. Something missing from the vague procedure in which librarians can submit handwritten requests for more books on particular topics to the collection development staff - a process which allows no room for follow-up. And something missing professionally - for what is more gratifying than selecting the materials that our patrons read, watch, and listen to?

No comments: