Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Program That Wasn't

I've written about this topic before, but it's such a huge aspect of working in a public library (affecting nearly every workday) that I'm going to blog about it again.

Programming is an immensely rewarding aspect of library life - when the events draw a large audience and lots of praise from the participants (a pat on the back from one's supervisor doesn't hurt, either). Of course, I hadn't been out of library school very long when I discovered that it is extremely difficult to convince our adult patrons that the library offers special events for them. After all, the library has been offering storytimes for children since the institution was born; providing seminars, concerts, and craft demonstrations for adults is a much more recent development that continues to surprise many patrons. But the challenge of programming is what makes it so satisfying.

I recently held a program that, despite my initial optimism, did not go well. It was a pottery demonstration, held on what should have been a busy Thursday afternoon (Thursdays are usually busy because our patrons get to keep DVDs for an extra day; our branch is closed on Sundays). Thinking that the demonstration would be a drop-in program, I arranged for it to take place on the main floor of the library rather than in our meeting room. Because the artist would be visible to every patron, the program would attract people who hadn't seen the flyers or read the newspapers, people who had visited the library only to borrow books or DVDs.

Unfortunately, the result was not what I had imagined. Six people, who had heard about the demonstration from flyers, arrived just prior to the start of the program and remained for the entire two hours. Another person joined the "crowd" later. But none of the patrons who were in the library for other reasons paused to watch.

Although our extremely talented artist was accepting (even claiming that she liked having a small audience, since it gave her the opportunity to answer more questions), I was embarrassed and disappointed. I shouldn't have taken it personally, but I had devoted time to finding an artist, scheduling the event on what I had felt was an appropriate day and time, creating flyers and press releases, navigating the bureaucratic maze to arrange for the artist's $150 fee - and I had honestly believed that our patrons would enjoy it. Quilting and painting demonstrations had been well-received; why shouldn't a pottery demonstration be equally successful? The thought that our film festivals draw a crowd, but that people would not come to the library to watch a piece of artwork being created, both frustrated and amused me.

But there was also some satisfaction in the knowledge that having an audience at a library program depends on many factors. We always take a chance when we schedule an event, realizing that personal errands or the weather may keep people away. I hadn't publicized the event any differently from the way that I'd publicized those programs that had drawn a crowd (in fact, I promoted it even more, sending flyers to other branches). The lack of an audience just - happened.

I'm looking forward to arranging future programs - and trying again.

No comments: