Friday, April 25, 2008

Thing #14: Technorati

When I first began to blog, I did it just for the sake of knowing that I could - but actually preferred to keep my thoughts to myself. Now that I've become more comfortable in writing online (thanks to the encouragement of the few people who have commented on my blog), I want to make my journal more visible. I thought that Technorati would enable me to achieve that goal.

The fact is, though, that the Web is so overwhelmed with blogs - large and small, up-to-date and old, read and unread - that it seems to be impossible for Technorati to meet its purpose - to catalog blogs in such a way that they'll be easy-to-search and easy-to-find. After "claiming" my blog, I tried to search for it - and couldn't find it. I then attempted to search for a colleague's blog - and again, couldn't find it.

I also had a difficult time trying to figure out how to "tag" my blog entries. But it seems to make more sense to tag the entire blog. There must be a way to do this; I suppose that I just need to keep playing.

No comments: