Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Reference Question of the Day

Sometimes reference questions make sense, and sometimes they just don't.

This morning, a woman called the library and asked for the home address of a man who is currently running for President of the United States. She gave me the city and the state in which she believes this man resides. When I replied that this might not be public information, she yelled "BUT I'M AN AMERICAN CITIZEN, MA'AM!" (as if her status in the country would guarantee her the right to access private information).

I quickly clarified my response by telling her that I was willing to conduct the search, but couldn't guarantee that I would be able to find it. This seemed to satisfy her, somewhat. But when I suggested that she attempt to contact the candidate at his campaign headquarters, she snapped "Oh, don't give me that!"

The first website that I searched demanded a $2.95 fee for an address that belonged to someone whose name matched that of the presidential candidate (needless to say, the $2.95 charge was mentioned only after I spent several seconds typing in my search). Another site yielded five names and cities that may have been possible matches. I searched the candidate's website for additional information, then provided my patron with what I believed was the correct address (and I stressed that I believed it was the right address). I then politely asked the patron if she needed additional assistance (to which - thankfully - she replied "no."). And the conversation ended. Privately, I wished her luck in receiving a personal message from the possible future president.

Needless to say, I was ready for a break.

No comments: