Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Thing #15: Library 2.0

Lately, I've been blogging about everything except our Web 2.0 Challenge! My hope for obtaining the MP3 player has diminished, but my desire to complete the Challenge has not. I'm going to do it on my own schedule, because I'm just not going to finish by May 30 (Oh, well....at least I'll learn!).

Library 2.0.....It's simply the twenty-first century way of expressing our long-standing purpose. Our mission has always been to ensure that our community has access to public library services. These services change, evolve, and expand along with our patrons' lives. Not only do we have to accept and adjust to new technology, Web 2.0 concepts, and the idea of the public library as a community center, we have to embrace them. If we don't, we will be left behind. And then we will certainly experience the demise of our profession.

But learning new skills and creating new services should be exciting, not daunting. As librarians, we encourage lifelong learning in others. We should love to do it ourselves. We need to do it ourselves if we are to continue to assist our patrons. After all, it is through this very process that we derive professional fulfillment.

No comments: