Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Thing #22: ListenNJ

I have to confess that I like simplicity, particularly when it comes to technology. Give me easy-to-follow instructions and I will follow them and, most times, will complete them accurately. In the end, I'll even enjoy many of those tasks - as my blog posts about this Challenge have revealed.

But downloading the software in order to check a book out electronically via ListenNJ was not one of those simple tasks. In fact, attempting to download Overdrive Media Console - and then figuring out that I had to upgrade my Windows Media Player in order to accommodate this software - was so cumbersome that I wonder exactly how many patrons, in order to perform the same task, become frustrated and just give up. Surely it is much easier to just borrow an "old-fashioned" audiobook from the library.

I began to listen to Calvin Trillon's memoir About Alice, and I suppose that someone might have a desire to listen to a book via computer (or, more likely, an MP3 player) while performing other tasks. But, personally, I would still rather listen to a disc that one simply pops into a CD player. And I have to be honest: I'm surprised that the producers of ListenNJ have apparently ignored the constantly increasing demand for simplicity in technology.

No comments: