Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thing #16: Wikis

Wikis are terrific compilations of ideas. What makes Web 2.0 so wonderful is that anyone can contribute to the online publishing world; one doesn't have to be an experienced author, or have a specific educational background, to participate. Wikis epitomize this.

While I've been contributing to a wiki through a professional organization in which I'm involved, I didn't know about the Library Success wiki until I began to work on this "Thing." I think that it's a great idea. I agree with a statement that was made in one of its introductory paragaphs - that while there are many library-related blogs, the wiki is better for searching for specific ideas. The organization of the Library Success wiki into various categories - "Programming," "Services to Specific Groups," etc. - is fantastic; the user can jump directly to the section in which he is interested, rather than having to skim through other material first.

No comments: