Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thing #18: Web Apps

In an earlier blog post, I had admitted that there are some Web 2.0 features that I will most likely not use after this Challenge ends (del.icio.us is one example; I just don't use many websites on a regular basis). I may not use Google Docs or Zoho, either; it's not often that I work on a presentation with other staff members. When I'm not at the Desk, I'm usually working on my own projects.

But there is definite value in the online "office" packages. What a difference they make for people who are working jointly, In fact, they could also provide a great backup tool for documents that are saved to memory sticks (so I may have a use for them, after all!).

When I learned about the availability of these tools, I asked a colleague whether she believes that they will eventually replace the current Office packages. "Yes," she replied. "But not for a long time. The online forms don't contain all of the features that Office has."

No comments: