Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thing #19: Web 2.0 Awards

I never thought that I would become personally involved with Web 2.0 concepts. But, after exploring several of the sites that won Web 2.0 awards, I found myself eagerly registering for them! Aside from the fact that I'll be able to suggest them as resources to patrons, they have nothing to do with librarianship. Their subjects, however, have a huge impact on my private life.

The first site is peertrainer.com. For some time, I've been trying - and failing - to lose weight. Since I'm balancing a full-time job with raising a young child, I simply don't have the time to attend Weight Watchers meetings (something that worked well for me in the past!). What I need is support from other people, and peertrainer will definitely provide me with that (with the added benefits of anonymity and not needing to use valuable gas in order to drive to a meeting!).

Minti.com is the second site that I'll use regularly. What parent doesn't need the support and understanding of other parents?!

Finally, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I'll continue to use LibraryThing to track my reading and listening materials.

I'm so glad that I've discovered these resources! Thank you, Web 2.0 Challenge Committee!

No comments: